Sanborn County Park: John Nicholas Trail
Opened in 2014, this well-designed singletrack wooded trail is a popular mountain biking route with a significant ascent or descent. Lake County Reservoir provides a scenic resting spot. Parking at the ends of both connector trails is extremely limited, so consider doing this route as a round-trip from the Sunnyvale Mountain staging area.
• From: Lake Ranch Reservoir
• To: Sunnyvale Mountain Staging Area in Saratoga
• Length: 3.5 miles one-way (plus 0.5-mile via Lake Ranch Trail from Sanborn Road or 1.9 miles via John Nicholas Trail from Black Road); car shuttle possible.
• Elevation Gain/Loss: 1,160 feet/190 feet one-way (1,550-foot gain from Sanborn Road trailhead; 1,200 feet/300 feet from Black Road trailhead)
• Accessibility: Hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers
(This trail description is excerpted from the 2019 Guidebook. For details on all trails, trailheads, and more, buy the book from Wilderness Press. For more resources to plan your trip, visit our Trail Tools page.)