This is where the Bay Area Ridge Trail splits and heads toward either the Carquinez Bridge or the Benicia-Martinez Bridge on the Carquinez Strait Scenic Loop Trail. Take a trip through Mexican and early California history on these routes, which follow the waterfront through the thriving towns of Vallejo and Benicia. Enjoy brisk breezes and occasional fog as you watch the San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers funnel into San Francisco Bay. This route travels mostly level trails, including sidewalks, paved and unpaved trails, and footpaths.
• From: Dillon Point Road in Benicia
• To: Waterview Terrace in Vallejo OR East 5th Street in Benicia
• Length: 5.2 miles one-way for hikers (west from park entrance at Dillon Point Road to Carquinez Bridge Overlook (includes 0.4-mile extension in Glen Cove Waterfront Park); 3.2 miles one-way for mountain bikers; 3.2 miles one-way for equestrians. 4.6 miles one-way for hikers and mountain bikers, (east from park entrance at Dillon Point Road to Military East), 0.8 mile one-way for equestrians; car shuttles possible.
• Elevation Gain/Loss: 495 feet/225 feet (from park entrance at Dillon Point Road to Carquinez Bridge Overlook); 90 feet/45 feet (from park entrance at Dillon Point Road to Military East)
• Accessibility: Hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers (hikers only on Carquinez Overlook Trail). Wheelchair users on state park water- front trail and Benicia Marina.
(This trail description is excerpted from the 2019 Guidebook. For details on all trails, trailheads, and more, buy the book from Wilderness Press. For more resources to plan your trip, visit our Trail Tools page.)