A trek along this 1,000-acre ridgetop visits the San Francisco Bay Discovery site, a former Nike missile site, and unique coastal plant communities. Offering sweeping views of the coast and bay, the trail is a combination of singletrack and unpaved and paved road. Because there is no trailhead on the southern end of the trail, this segment description is from north to south. The exposed ridge can be windy, foggy, or hot and is subject to sudden changes in weather.
• From: Skyline College in Pacifica
• To: Portola Gate in San Bruno
• Length: 3.2 miles one-way for hikers; equestrians and mountain bikers take either the 1.7-mile Sneath Lane or 1.3-mile Mori Ridge connector trails instead of the 1-mile Notch Trail (additional 3.2- mile return for hikers or car shuttle to Sneath Lane or Mori Ridge Trailheads)
• Elevation Gain/Loss: 785 feet/300 feet one-way
• Accessibility: Hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers (hiker-only on Notch Trail)
(This trail description is excerpted from the 2019 Guidebook. For details on all trails, trailheads, and more, buy the book from Wilderness Press. For more resources to plan your trip, visit our Trail Tools page.)