Kennedy Grove Regional Recreation Area to Tilden Regional Park (Inspiration Point)
Within three parks and a watershed property, this route passes through diverse landscapes and takes in far-flung views of the Bay Area. It starts in a shady eucalyptus grove, skirts San Pablo Reservoir, climbs a wide watershed trail through grasslands to San Pablo Ridge, and then follows a paved ridgecrest trail to Inspiration Point. This is the beginning of a 46-mile contiguous stretch of the Bay Area Ridge Trail to Garin Regional Park.
• From: Kennedy Grove in El Sobrante
• To: Inspiration Point in Orinda
• Length: 5.7 miles one-way (includes 1-mile round-trip on Laurel Loop and Kennedy Grove Trails); car shuttle possible.
• Elevation Gain/Loss: 1,045 feet/270 feet one-way
• Accessibility: Hikers, equestrians, and mountain bikers. Wheelchair users can access Nimitz Way.
(This trail description is excerpted from the 2019 Guidebook. For details on all trails, trailheads, and more, buy the book from Wilderness Press. For more resources to plan your trip, visit our Trail Tools page.)